Monday, September 15, 2014

Fall Football Food

It's that time of year again...football season!  My husband is a die hard New England Patriots fan and every year he proclaims opening day essentially a food holiday!  For the past 3 years, it's been the same menu -- pulled pork and carrot cake.  I know that's a weird combination, but it works!  We had friends over this year and, judging from their reaction, they will be back on opening day next year!


Our favorite pulled pork recipe comes from The Splendid Table.  It's ridiculously easy and a huge hit with everyone who's tried it.  The dry rub I usually make a double batch and put it in a jar for future use.  The pulled pork freezes really well, so if we happen to have a crumb leftover, I usually tuck a small packet of that in the freezer for a quick weeknight meal.  Granted, our pulled pork starts out as sandwiches and then we have it in quesadillas, nachos, even a pile of it over mashed potatoes and the list goes on...

This year my husband requested trying Cuban Bread.  I had no idea this existed...I assumed Cuban sandwiches were just made with plain old, every day bread.  Little did  know!  So, I tried it...any homemade bread smells good and tastes better than store-bought!  This was good though!  Really good!  We made 2 massive sandwiches which we threw on the panini press and then sliced them into smaller chunks.  It was enough to feed 4 hungry adults and a few skeptical kiddos.



Lastly, the carrot cake.  The recipe is courtesy of Ina Garten.  It is my go-to carrot cake recipe.  I've made it as a tiered cake, as a 9x13 cake, and as cupcakes.  It has been a hit with everyone!  This year I decorated with footballs (per my hubby) and whales.  What????  Ok, our guests are expecting their second child in a few weeks and the nursery theme is whales.  So, I made a fun cake with both items!  They loved it!  The kids thought it was hilarious!



That's all for now...on the list for next week...favorite old-school household helpers!


No comments:

Post a Comment