Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Autographing a cake while cleaning up vomit from the birthday boy!

Lovely title, eh?  It's been that kind of week!  If you have a weak stomach, stop reading now!!!!!!!!



Monday my little man turned 3!  Happy Birthday Ben!



Since we celebrate the boys' birthdays with family this coming weekend, we still need to have dessert on the actual day.  So, we did brownie sundaes with a train candle holder (per Ben!).

Unfortunately, while Ben was blowing out his candles, his brother started with stomach bug symptoms.  So no sundae for him.  Poor kid!

24 hours later, in the car no less, birthday boy suddenly screams (we're now about 2 minutes from the house) and I look up in the rear view mirror and it looked like a scene from a horror movie!  The poor kid got it all over himself, his favorite blankie and all up in the car seat straps/buckles.  If you have never had the privilege of cleaning vomit from a car seat, it is a horror like none other!

My secret?  Freezing it!  I took the seat out, carefully removed the cover to wash it and parked the seat on the porch in the frigid temperatures.  Much easier to chisel it off than wiping goo.  A cheapo toothbrush and toothpick are also quite useful!  The problem is, you will NEVER get it all, no matter what you do.  Try some vinegar and/or baking soda for odor removal.  If you are successful, you will never know it happened.  Sadly, if you missed a spot, the first warm day that it bakes in the sun, dear lord, your car will reek!



For the added challenge, I was supposed to be making the farewell cake for 2 of our coworkers who are departing for our new facility next week.  Thankfully, the cake was baked, filled and crumb-coated by the time this awfulness started!  All I had to do was cover it in fondant and add the flowers I had already made.  I swear I washed my hands about a thousand times before working on it!

I think it came out amazingly!  I tried a new method for filling and crumb-coating.  This time I tried the upside-down ganache trick from Sweetness and Bite as well as the marshmallow fondant recipe from Amy's Confectionery Adventures.  Both are fantastic!  If you've never made your own fondant, try this recipe!  It was the smoothest, most luxurious feeling fondant ever!  It takes a little patience and is sticky to start, but so wonderful and so much cheaper than buying the stuff!

I decided on using the fondant as a blank slate for all of our messages to the girls.  Sadly, I could only drop it off (as the wee one was ill) but they all loved being able to autograph it!  It was a huge hit!  Check out the results...



Let the fondant set up overnight so it has a slight crust, otherwise, writing on it with edible markers just leaves dents in it.

Ok, so the boys appear to be on the mend (though the hubby seems to have the beginnings of it) so I'm hoping we're all good enough to have the Ninja Turtle/train party this weekend.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment