Friday, February 20, 2015

Snow for Sale


We're serious!  Please stop praying for snow!  Just checked WeatherStreet and it says we currently have about 30" of snow piled up in the back yard.  This is a cool site...just type in your zip code and it shows snow depth currently.  All well and good if you really care about the snow base.  I just want it to say 0".



Just for reference, the grey storage box in the lower left is about 30" tall and the snow comes even to it!  If we let my little guy out there, we'd lose him!  :)


Thanks to all this snow and all the germs having a field day in the cold, stuck-inside-together-sneezing-our-heads-off weather, we had to cancel the boys' party yet again.  I have never felt so awful as when we broke the news to the big guy.  He ran to his room and pulled the covers over his head.  I don't blame him.  I would have done the same thing if it didn't make me look like a really sad 6 year old!  I had literally decorated everything, cleaned the house top to bottom and made the cake (again).  Little boys with fevers of 103 degrees prevent anyone from entering our house!  So, it's on hold again.  I vow to have the party (mostly because I have all the stuff still) because kids need to celebrate!

A few shots of what could have been...


Turtle lanterns.  Easy to make with paper lanterns (I got mine from Party City.  Unfortunately, they come in packs of 3 and there are 4 turtles.  I tried to convince myself we only needed to make 3, but that looked silly so I went back and got one more package.  Now I have 2 extra...what to do with them...).  Crepe streamers and giant googly eyes completed the projected.  I used some sticky tabs to adhere the streamers and eyes.


Ever made slime (aka. Mutagen Ooze!)?  So fun and so easy to make.  The kids can help with all stages and you can make it in any color.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 teaspoon Borax laundry booster
5 ounces glue (clear or white works or use colored and omit the food coloring)
food coloring
warm water
(I've seen recipes add glitter if you want it sparkly.  Ninja turtles are definitely un-sparkly!)

-In measuring cup, mix 1 Cup warm water with the Borax.  Stir well to dissolve.
-In a large mixing bowl, combine glue and 1/2 Cup warm water, mixing well to thin out the glue.
-Add food coloring to desired shade.
-Slowly pour Borax mixture into the glue and stir.  Only a few stirs and you will see a cool change!  It firms up instantly!  Keep stirring until everything is combined and it becomes a semi-solid mass.

Let the kiddos help...make it a science lesson!  You can roll a ball of it in your hand and bounce it a bit, but if you lay your hand flat, it melts through your fingers!  Experiment by adding more or less water to the glue mixture and see what happens.
*side note...I prefer the kids using this outside or in the tub as it's a pain to clean off fiber (ie. carpet and clothing!)  It does wash out in the laundry, but carpet is awful if it gets ground in!

Cake pics...this time my husband too the big base to work.  My coworkers got the 1st round.  At least someone is happy with cancelled parties!



The sewer lid that was supposed to lay on top of the turtles, like they were poking out of the tunnel.


Yes, we lit it and sang happy birthday despite it just being us!  :)

That's all for now.  Tomorrow is my big day...birthday time.  I will be turning 29 again.  It's been a few years of 29.  My hubby has vowed to make my birthday dessert.  Lord help us!  I requested White Chocolate Fruit Tart.  We'll see how it goes!

Wishing for sun and warmth...









No comments:

Post a Comment