Thursday, June 5, 2014

Living Vicariously

Do you live vicariously through your kiddos?  Come on, you can admit it!  We all do it!  These are some of my favorite things my kiddos love and I probably love even more!

COLORING
Is there anything better than a fresh box of crayons?  Something about the smell, the order, the sharpness of them!  I guess this is the one area I wish I had girls for...my boys love to color and draw, but they aren't nearly as patient and neat as girls tend to be in this activity!  I could sit for hours and color!  When my patients sheepishly tell me they love to color, I print out the adult coloring sheets and we have a good time!  It's so therapeutic to work with colors!

OLD SCHOOL TV SHOWS
    
Just a few of my old favorites that my boys now love.  Ok, maybe not the 2 year old, but I could curl up and watch reruns of all these with my 5 year old quite happily!  Thank god for Netflix and YouTube!

DISNEY/PIXAR MOVIES
    
Ok, what adult hasn't been just a little bit excited that their child wanted to go see one of these movies?  I took Matthew to see Finding Nemo when it came out in 3D 2 years ago.  It was his first movie and while he loved it, it was great to share one of my favorite old movies with him.  My dad jumped at the idea of taking him to see the Lego Movie in February!  The best part of these movies is all the humor tucked into them directly solely at the parents.


LEGOS
lego-1-630x0
Truly my favorite of the bunch!  I loved my Legos as a kid and spend more time than my 5 year old does building all kinds of creations.  How much fun are these little plastic blocks?  The endless creativity that they spawn is incredible!  And, if you have a little one, sign them up for the free Lego magazine.  It's bi-monthly and has stories, projects to build, etc.  My son gets so excited when it arrives in the mailbox.  We don't see him for an hour while he scours it for the next project!

But, what is it that we love about these old throw-back activities?  It's about the time we get to spend together now and sharing stories of when we did them.  It's about who we spent time with back in the day.  My dad sat for hours constructing Lego cities and space ships while mom likely vacuumed up a few critical pieces or stepped on one and swore under her breath!  If you've ever stepped on one, you know those suckers hurt!  So dig out some of your old favorites and go play!

No comments:

Post a Comment