Tuesday, June 17, 2014

When to Let Go

At what age is it ok to let your child use a public restroom alone?  A random topic for sure, but one that's been weighing on me lately.  It stems from being out and about town over the past few weeks and my 5 year old needing to use the bathroom.  He's been concerned that I take him into the women's room because it has a picture of a lady on the door!  "Why can't I go in the boys' room?"


Another sticky situation, what to do if you need to take an adult of the opposite sex into a restroom and there's no "family bathroom" option?  I have run into this several times while at work.  As a recreation therapist, a big portion of my job is to assist patients in "community re-integration".  If I take a male patient out to a store or restaurant and he needs to use the bathroom, but might need assistance with managing clothes or a transfer from a wheelchair to the toilet, which bathroom do I use?  Everyone I've discussed this with (patients and therapists alike) feel that you should always use the bathroom based on the user's gender.  It's an uncomfortable situation for both parties.  If it's a multiple-stall bathroom, I always knock and announce that I am coming in to assist someone so that I don't scare the poor men at the urinals!  Then I make a mad dash for the handicap stall!  Moral of the story, make your patient use the toilet BEFORE leaving the facility!!!!!

Twice this week, I've used the men's room only because the women's room was occupied and my son HAD to go quickly.  I still felt awkward coming out when there was a man waiting.

Obviously, in a few months, he's going to kindergarten and going to have to use public restrooms independently, but for now, he's still a baby in my eyes!  So here's my conclusion...if it's a one-stall bathroom situation, he can go in the boys' room, but I will stand guard outside the door.  If it's a multiple-stall situation, he will still go in with me.  For now.  Come September, we'll see!  Why can't they just make unisex bathrooms?  That would solve all my dilemmas!

Ok, for something much more fun...I made some seriously delicious Salted Caramel Popcorn last week.  It was super easy, all ingredients you should have on hand.  It makes a big tub of the stuff, which is great for a big group, but disastrous if it's only you at home, because you WILL eat it all by yourself!  Thankfully, I took it to work to make our weekly patient meeting much more tolerable.  It was a huge hit!  Make some, but make sure you have a place to pawn it off on!


No comments:

Post a Comment