Thursday, July 3, 2014

1812 Overture and Patriotic Marshmallows


Nothing says Happy 4th of July like patriotic marshmallows!



I made these spiffy marshmallows for the boys to take to day care.  So easy!  I dumped colored sanding sugar in small bowls.  Filled one small bowl with water.  Quickly dunk one end of the mallows into the water and blot dry on a paper towel.  You really just want them damp, not dripped wet.  Dunk the wet end into the sugar.  I did all one color first and set them on a drying rack.  Repeat the process for the other color.  Leave them out to dry for an hour or so and serve!  The kids thought they were pretty awesome!

The next photos are actually from last week and since I slacked off and didn't post, here you go!  I made this Almond Raspberry cake for my mom's 65th birthday party.  It has a lovely meringue frosting on the outside and raspberry butter cream inside.  I've never tried meringue frosting, but it was fun to make and delicious!


It was a huge hit with everyone, especially the birthday girl and my 9 month old nephew who hadn't tried cake yet.  He was pretty enthusiastic about it!  His parents have put in a request for a dinosaur cake for his 1st birthday.  Stay tuned because I have lots of ideas for that!



Finally, it's summer!  We must find fun things for the kiddos to do on vacation.  My day care guru was talking about searching for fun Pinterest ideas for the kids.  I hopped on it since I've been dying to try chalk paint.  I bought a box of chalk at the dollar store and got to work.  I broke up the chalk into manageable pieces and then tossed it in my mini food processor (much to my husband's dismay!), added enough water to get it running and pressed the button.  Voila!  Chalk paint in some very vibrant colors!  I put them in small plastic containers and sent them off to day care with a bag of foam brushes.  


This kids loved it!  


Yes, I did run my mini chopper through the dish washer just in case.  But it was non-toxic chalk!!!!

Anyway, we're going to hunker down while Hurricane Arthur rolls by New England tomorrow and maybe we'll get to hear the 1812 Overture at some point!  Happy 4th of July!


No comments:

Post a Comment